Lent

Lent is that fourty day period before Easter when Christians spend a lot of time reflecting on their lives and making an effort to make ammends. It is also a time to fast for those who can. Catholics have the tradition of not eating meat on Fridays as a symbol of respect for the body of Christ.

Lent,
a period of
prayer and fasting.
Of laying bare
all those secrets,
big or small,
before the Lord.
Lent,
a time of
real reflection
what have I been doing,
what should I have done,
what will I do,
that is different,
and rewarding
and enriching?
Lent,
a time of
forgiving,
who has wronged me,
who has let me down,
who has insulted me,
who has ignored me,
many.
I forgive them all,
and many more
Just as Jesus did.
Lent,
a time of
questioning,
who have I wronged,
have I been living
according to His commandments,
If not, where have I failed,
how can I make ammends.
Lent,
a moment of
pleasure.
Pleasure in knowing,
that He died for me,
and I am here for Him.
He carried His cross,
I will carry mine.
by Pauline Okposi.

 
Go to top